Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) Dragonknight Guide
The Dragonknight (DK) is one of the four classes available for players to use in Elder Scrolls Online. This class is rather versatile but is primarily designed to be a typical warrior, capable of dealing high amounts of damage. But that’s not all it can do. Because of the large variety of skills the Dragonknight has access to it can take on the role of DPS, Tank, or even Healer / Support, it just depends on which skill tree you decide to focus on while leveling.
Dragonknight Class Skills
The DK has access to 3 different skill trees. These are:
- Ardent Flame
- Draconic Power
- Earthen Heart
Each of these trees has around 10 different passive & active skills that can be equipped. Depending on which tree you progress you’ll gain access to DoT (damage over time) attacks, health regeneration, armor increases, and more. Below we talk more about the individual skills within each tree.
Looking for a complete guide to the DK? Check out this awesome ESO Dragonknight leveling guide for tips & tricks on getting your DK to level 50, decked out in great gear, and more.
Ardent Flame Tree
The Ardent Flame skill tree is definitely the one to focus on if you’re wanting to deal massive amounts of damage and play the role of a DPS warrior in-game. The various skills within this tree are centered around dishing out raw fire damage, applying DoT burns, and so on.
Here are the skills available in the tree (sorted by level unlocked):
- Fiery Grip (Active) – Pulls target to character and deals fire damage.
- Empowering Chains (Active) – Same as above plus increases weapon power of next attack by 40.
- Extended Chains (Active) – Pulls target to you and deal fire damage. Chains have increased range.
- Searing Chains (Active) – Deals 11 fire damage plus 32 fire DoT over 8.5 seconds.
- Unstable Flame (Active) – Deals 14 fire damage plus 56 fire DoT over 8.5 seconds. Damage also increase by 9% every 2 seconds.
- Burning Embers (Active) – Same as above but instead of damage increase it provides healing for 30% of inflicted damage at the end of the effect.
- Kindling (Passive) – Increases burn damage from fire-based abilities by 33%.
- Dragonknight Standard (Ultimate Ability) – Calls in standard that deals 7 fire damage every second to enemies standing on it plus foes get 50% less healing for the duration of 12 seconds.
- Shifting Standard (Ultimate) – Same as above but lasts 15 seconds and can be moved.
- Standard of Might (Ultimate) – Same as DK Standard but lasts 15 seconds and also increases your damage by 30% and decreases your damage taken by 30% while you’re standing on it.
- Burning Breath (Active) – Multiple effects. Deals 2 fire damage in cone area. Causes burning of 36 fire DoT for 8 seconds. Reduces enemy armor by 40%.
- Engulfing Flames (Active) – Deals 5 fire damage in cone area. Same burning effect as above. Also makes enemies take an extra 7% in damage inflicted by fire-based attacks.
- Searing Heat (Passive) – Increases the duration of the Fiery Breath, Searing Strike, and Dragonknight Standard skills by 2 seconds.
- Lava Whip (Active) – Deals 20 fire damage and also throws enemies that are immobile or stunned off balance.
- Molten Whip (Active) – Same as above only with 23 fire damage. Plus increases damage of fire attacks by 7.
- Flame Lash (Active) – Same as above but instead of increasing damage it allows activation of a follow-up attack that will inflict 16 fire damage and provide you with 11 healing via life steal.
- World in Flame (Passive) – Increases fire AoE attack damage by 3%.
- Flames of Oblivion (Active) – Deals 5 fire damage to nearby enemies every second plus gives you 10% crit chance against enemies within the flames. Costs 50 magicka per second.
- Sea of Flames (Active) – Deals 5 fire damage to nearby enemies every second plus for every enemy killed with the attack your player will receive 100 Magicka. Costs 50 Magicka per second.
As you can see, Ardent Flame focuses heavily on dealing a lot of fire damage, inflicting burning effects, and dishing out loads of DoT and AoE attacks. This tree allows the Dragonknight to work really well as a DPS player.
Draconic Power Tree
The Draconic Power skill tree gives the Dragonknight access to a variety of healing abilities, armor enhancements, blocks, health regenerations, and other skills that are best suited for players wishing to take on the role of a Tank. While this tree does focus on increasing your defensive abilities there are still plenty of strong attacks making you more of a DPS / Tank hybrid.
Here are the skills available in this tree (sorted by level unlocked):
- Spiked Armor (Active) – Increases armor rating by 25 points for 17 seconds plus returns 2 physical damage to enemies striking you with melee attacks.
- Razor Armor (Active) – Increases armor rating by 25 points for 20 seconds plus returns 5 physical damage to enemies striking you with melee attacks. A bonus 25% is added to armor for the first 2.5 seconds of the skill activation.
- Volatile Armor (Active) – Increases armor rating by 25 points for 20 seconds plus returns 5 physical damage from melee attacks. Also auto-deals 8 damage on activation.
- Dark Talons (Active) – Immobilizes nearby enemies for 3.5 seconds plus deals 13 damage. Allies are also able to activate Impale Synergy causing more damage to enemies trapped inside the talons.
- Burning Talons (Active) – Immobilizes nearby foes for 4 seconds, deals 13 damage, plus deals 8 fire damage over time. Allies can also activate Impale Synergy on this skill for additional damage.
- Choking Talons (Active) – Immobilizes nearby enemies for 4 seconds, deals 13 damage, plus reduces trapped foes’ damage output by 15%. Allies can activate Impale Synergy on this, too.
- Iron Skin (Passive) – Blocks an additional 5% of incoming damage.
- Dragon Leap (Ultimate) – Deals 39 damage to enemies within a 6.5 meter radius plus knocks back affected foes.
- Take Flight (Ultimate) – Deals 43 damage to enemies within a 6.5 meter radius plus knocks back affected foes.
- Ferocious Leap (Ultimate) – Deals 43 damage and knocks back enemies within a 6.5 meter radius plus gives your character 30 spell resistance for a total of 8 seconds.
- Burning Heart (Passive) – Increase the amount of healing you receive by 6% while you have a Dragon ability active.
- Coagulating Blood (Active) – Heals 30% health on self, increases health regen by 40% for 20 seconds, and increases Armor and Spell Resistance by 30 for 2 seconds.
- Elder Dragon (Passive) – Increases your health regen by 2% for every Dragon ability slotted on your character.
- Reflective Scale (Active) – Reflects all spell projectiles for 4 seconds.
- Reflective Plate (Active) – Reflects all spell projectiles for 4 seconds plus increases your Spell Resistance by 27 for a total of 6 seconds.
- Dragon Fire Scale (Active) – Reflects all spell projectiles for 4 seconds plus all reflected attacks deal 20% more damage.
- Scaled Armor (Passive) – Increases your character’s spell resistance by 2 points.
- Inhale (Active) – Steals health from nearby enemies plus, after 2.5 seconds, deals 11 Magic Damage to nearby foes.
- Draw Essence (Active) – Steals more health from nearby enemies, 17% of initial damage is gained as Magicka, and, after 2.5 seconds, deals 11 Magic Damage to nearby foes.
So, as you can see by the skills listed above, this tree gives you a chance to access a lot of damage reduction abilities, improve self health regeneration, resistance to spells, and more. This is why this tree makes the DK a capable DPS / Tank hybrid.
Earthen Heart Tree
The Earthen Heart skill tree is a rather interesting one. While the Dragonknight is technically a warrior-like class this particular tree has many skills centered around buffing allies and crowd control making it a viable option as a Support build. A few skills help increase the damage output of your allies, snare enemies, and so on.
Here are all of the skills within this tree (listed by unlock level):
- Stonefist (Active) – Deals 13 Physical Damage and knocks foe down for 3 seconds.
- Obsidian Shard (Active) – Deals 16 Physical Damage and knocks foe down for 3 seconds.
- Stone Giant (Active) – Deals 16 damage and knocks foe down for 3 seconds. Also increases armor rating by 9 for 4 seconds.
- Molten Weapons (Active) – Increases weapon damage of nearby allies by 10 for 45 seconds. Bonus is also increased by 100% for the caster of the skill.
- Igneous Weapons (Active) – Same as above but buffs allies’ damage for 60 seconds. Also adds fire damage to both light and heavy attacks.
- Molten Armaments (Active) – Same as above but instead of adding fire damage it gives yourself and allies a 30% crit chance with weapon attacks for 6 seconds.
- Eternal Mountain (Passive) – Increases the duration of all Earthen Heart abilities by 10%.
- Magma Armor (Ultimate) – Caps all incoming damage to 3% of your max health for 9 seconds. Also hits nearby enemies with 2 fire damage every second.
- Magma Shell (Ultimate) – Same as above but damage cap lasts for 12 seconds. Also allows allies to activate Protective Shell Synergy which provides a damage shield for 85% of their maximum health.
- Corrosive Armor (Ultimate) – Same as above but instead of allowing access to shield it reduces the weapon damage of nearby enemies by 30%.
- Battle Roar (Passive) – Restores Health, Magicka, and Stamina. Restore amount increased by 50% of the Ultimate’s cost.
- Obsidian Shield (Active) – Creates a 0 point damage shield on all nearby allies for 20 seconds. The shield strength is increased by 100% on the caster of the skill.
- Igneous Shield (Active) – Same as above but creates a 3 point damage shield.
- Fragmented Shield (Active) – Same as above plus when the effect ends the shield shatters and deals a total of 9 Magic Damage against nearby enemies.
- Mountain’s Blessing (Passive) – Bestows 1 additional Ultimate when activating a Earthen Heart ability.
- Petrify (Active) – Stuns enemies for a duration of 10.5 seconds. Affected targets can take 0 damage before the stun breaks.
- Fossilize (Active) – Stuns enemies for a duration of 12 seconds. Plus enemy Stamina, Magicka, and Health regeneration is decreased by 44%.
- Shattering Rocks (Active) – Same as above but when the rocks break it deals 11 Magic Damage to nearby foes and has a 33% chance of inflicting vulnerability.
- Helping Hands (Passive) – Restores 2% Stamina when activating an Earthen Heart ability.
- Ash Cloud (Active) – Snares enemies for 70% and increases their miss chance by 30%.
- Cinder Storm (Active) – Sames above but nearby enemies will also be hit with Fire Damage every second.
Obviously the Earthen Heart tree consists of a lot of buffs and crowd control abilities. This allows the Dragonknight to play fairly well as a Support build but it does lack healing abilities which would be even more awesome for allies.
Leveling with the Dragonknight class should prove to be one of the easiest of all the classes in Elder Scrolls Online primarily because the DK will be capable of absorbing a lot of damage (due to having a lot of tank qualities) while also dealing decent DPS. This should make it simple to roll through trash mobs. Just focus on finding a rotation that works well for you.
We’ll be adding more detailed guides for leveling once ESO launches for players to follow.
Want to have an edge over all your enemies? Pick up this detailed Elder Scrolls Online guide to learn how to max out all of your characters, deck them out in the most powerful gear, line their pockets with more gold than you’ll know what to do with, and more.
Other Class Guides: Sorcerer | Templar | Nightblade